aus "The Miami Herald":
Published Monday, May 21, 2001
Salvadorans flood INS
More Salvadorans are seeking to stay in the United States under emergency temporary residency than expected by the U.S. government, a U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service spokesman said last week.
When President George W. Bush announced in March that undocumented immigrants from El Salvador could qualify for temporary protected status following the devastating earthquakes in that Central American country in January, the INS said it expected about 150,000 to apply for the benefit.
But as of last week, at least 161,454 had applied, said INS spokesman Dan Kane